Saturday 13 October 2007

Tanti Aguri Gammi

Savana, Lucy and I didn’t get to sleep until three in the morning. We didn’t talk about anything all that specific, they just brought up teenage girl kind of stuff. It felt a little weird actually, to be playing that kind of role for them. Shouldn't have really, given Cath is the same age, but still. Anyway, we had a fun time, I had answers for some of their questions, they gave me a rundown of the social acrobatics of their class. Quite interesting actually, because many of them have been in the same one class with the same kids since they were in kindergarten. They were telling me that most of the boys were at the same maturity level that they were at in grade four. Funny that. An international tendancy perhaps?

Went over to school to try and skype call home. Took me about an hour and a half to get the connection working, and there was a huge delay in the line, but hey, got to say happy birthday to my little sis, so it was worth it. We basically just ended up taking turns talking, because my responses to her questions would get through to her a couple of minutes later, by which point she would be talking about something completely different. But that's ok. It's all about hearing her voice.

Walked to the Afrikana junction with the intention of getting a biketaxi. I shall have to explain what they are to you. Takes about fifteen minutes to walk there, and just as I got to the corner Cindy drove past with Kezzie and asked if I wanted a lift the rest of the way. That was neat, I haven't been on one of the bikes yet, and they can be a little intimidating. It is very rare to see a white person on one, let alone a white female, so you get a whole lot of attention from everyone you ride past.

Leah’s party. Kids flattened. Bumped heads and bleeding lips. Island adventure story. Went home feeling a little drained. Too little sleep, too much day/sun, not such good food, predictable result I suppose....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see a lack of photo evidence for this so called bike taxi!! In dire need of proof Shelley.

Anonymous said...

I take offence at you suggesting there is an international trend in boys and low levels of maturity

Anonymous said...

It is Tom C out of interest