Wednesday 12 September 2007

The humour of a child is beyond me

I got up half an hour earlier to watch the sunrise. Sat on the roof and watch the sky change colour. It was nice. The view is looking out towards the ocean, and that's Rachel and Brandon's house in the foreground. Well, the roof of it anyway. Our roof is the same - concrete, hammock, thatched shelter thingy. The trees are palms and a baobab.


Mama Mwazo came just as I was about to leave for school to clean the house. She does all three of the houses in the compound. It's strange having her, and Mama Linda who cooks pizza for us once a week, and Armani, and the night guards. But as Jane explained, Mama Mwazo needs the work even if we don't feel we need it done, and the 4500 shillings she gets a day (if you remember what I said about Tanzanian shillings to Aussie dollars, that's about $4.50) is what she feeds her family on. And it is nice to have them around. Same goes for Mama Linda with the pizzas etc. Anyway. I'll try and explain that better later. Put the Demented Scruffy Bird outside, went to school.

Rachel had Ju Yeong and Ha Yeong yesterday, this morning was my turn again...

Tommy ran up to me again.
“I have another joke!”
I gently prise a cluster of hugging children from my waist.
“Ok, I’m ready. Tell me the joke.”
“Why were ten people walking down the street?”
“To talk to me?”

Hey, it was worth a try.
“No. Because one of them was you!”
I decided to persevere in the hope of greater understanding.
“But what were the other nine doing?”
“Talking to you!”

You can never win.

“I have another joke!”
“Tell me Tommy.”
“Why do people have two hands?”
“To talk to me?”

Luckily his six year old mind has no ‘smartass’ recognition factor yet.
“No. So they have a left hand and a right hand and one ear!”

I really don't get it.

As I walked off I heard some of the kids clamouring for him to tell them the joke too.
“Ok. Why do people have hands…”


It does make me laugh, he's making these up on the spot and his concept of a punchline is simply that it's a conclusion of some sort, regardless of any assumed need for a twist. In fact, the whole 'walking down the street' theme I think he picked up off the shirt I was wearing the first time (has a picture of the Beatles crossing Abbey Road on it), and he paused and looked at my hands before starting today's second joke. Funny kid. I look forward to tomorrow's.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is somewhat like the right ear left ear and wild front ear joke about DC........maybe tommy likes cowboy movies

Anonymous said...

Aww maybe you should buy the kid a real joke book!

Shelley said...

No. I would never spoil him by giving him society's second hand comedy. His is far more valuable.