Monday 10 September 2007

Most lots amount

Mish is missing Cath more.

This morning I worked with Ju and Ha for almost two hours. Quite accidentally, things were going well and so we just kept doing stuff until break time. And we're getting somewhere! Did some more grammar work, which Ha is really starting to understand. Ju copies it all, but I think it's more a case of him memorising the phrases not the actual concepts. Still, it's a start. I'm still basing a lot of the lessons on little pictures and diagrams, which often seem to be the only thing keeping Ju's attention from wandering. So for example, I drew a whole series of pictures that fitted into a particular category (ie. duck, chicken, eagle, penguin) and had them writing out sentances of "This is a duck" etc. Then they had to finish it off by circling the group and writing "These are birds". They did the same with items of clothing, modes of transport, toys, food. Next we moved onto verbs, which up until now we hadn't had much luck conveying to either of them. But I wrote them out sheets with 'I ________ oranges' and I ________ doors' and the like. They seemed to grasp filling in the gaps pretty well for the most part, although Ju had a tendancy to fill them with random words sometimes. Anyway, enough rambling about them.

Tommy* ran up to me at first break today.
"Miss Phillips, Miss Phillips, I have a joke to tell you!"
I pause in what I am doing, as nothing is more important than listening to a six year old's joke.
"There was a Chinese man walking along the street. And he was walking along when a building fell down next to him. Why did he put it back together?"
"I don't know Tommy, why?"
"Because you were on top of it!"

I don't get it.

Mama Linda is cooking us pizzas today, so we're going to have a good dinner! Yay! I am too distracted writing emails back and forth with Catski to further update this post for the moment. Sorry everyone who isn't Cat.

*Grade 1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hey shel.. you teacher you we will have to compare lessons when you get back!!

Anonymous said...

funniest joke ive heard in ages!!! Aww Shelly, he loves you, and didn't want to see you hurt from falling of a building, so of course the chinese man put it back together again! It was all for you silly!